ARE YOU ADDICTED TO SUGAR
Like caffeine, sugar is known to be addictive. If you've ever tried to give up your daily coffee or soda you know what I'm talk about. You experience headaches and a bad mood. In some ways sugar is worse than caffeine or even nicotine. You don't have to drink coffee, sodas or smoke to be able to live. You do have to eat though and sugar is found in almost everything processed these days.
Sweet tastes have the power to alleviate pain in infants according to webMD. There was an experiment done by Forbes.com showing that Oreo Cookies were just as addictive as cocaine in lab rats. However, sugar withdraw symptoms seem to be more emotional. Meaning a sugar addict may become cranky and sad when cutting out sugar but will not likely die or go into convulsions as the cocaine addict could. But the strong urges are similar.
The thing about sugar is someone can know they are an addict but still eat sugar even though they know it's doing harm to their health, because it's in everything and so closely tied to our family get-togethers, birthday parties and such.
The good news is .... We can make good choices. Starting today even.
7 TIPS for getting past sugar cravings:
1. Have small meals every 2-3 hours.
3. Keep snacks prepped too like: Hard-Boiled Eggs, Yogurt Cups, Celery, Carrots, Whole Wheat Crackers, Bell Peppers, Hummus, Apples, Oranges, Grapes to name a few.
5. if you must eat something sweet. Limit it to 3 big bites and throw it away. If you have to soak it with water or soap. I've done this before and that cupcake (or whatever it is you're craving) no longer has a hold on you once it's doused it with soap.
2. Prep Meals in advance. Make extra dinner to keep on hand for lunch or as a mini meal the next day.
4. Remember the craving will reach a peak and then spiral back down. Stay away from sugar for 3 whole days and you'll crave it less. Maybe even realize that you don't need it at all. The first 3 days of anything new are always the hardest.
6. Let yourself know... I can have it if I really wanted It. But I choose to not eat it because I have bigger things I want to accomplish.
7. Use Stevia in the raw to sweeten drinks without the effects of sugar raging inside of your body.
Get off Sugar Recipe
2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
2 Tbsp Real Butter
1 Packet Stevia in the Raw
1/4 tsp. Cocoa Powder
- Melt the Peanut Butter and Butter together in a bowl in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add Stevia & Cocoa powder and stir until all dissolved and you have a chocolate "sauce".
- Place the bowl in the freezer for about 3-5 mins or until mixture sets up so that you can cut it into 9-10 even pieces.
- Store in a container in the freezer.
- Take out and Eat 1-2 pieces every 30 mins to 1 hour depending on how bad your sugar cravings are. The fat in the candies will help you to feel full and will help you to get over your sugar cravings.
- It's best to not eat more than this 1 recipe per day. So if you need to make the pieces smaller to get through the day then do that.
- It could take up to 3 days to get over your sugar cravings.
- I could literally drink this sauce it's so good. You can also use it to top fruit, oatmeal, rice cakes etc. Remember portion control is everything!
- You can also leave out 1 tbsp of the real butter but it's not necessary if you have a huge sugar craving you need the healthy fats.